Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Background of Kindra, as told by Kindra


Kindra, one of my favorite characters in the Ruin series talks about her fall from grace in the next step of the series.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was born alongside my twin sister, Andarla. We’re part of a race called the Judges. We are, by your mortal standards, gods. It doesn’t mean our lifestyle differs very much from you mortals, Andarla and I grew up very similar to Earth children; we were nursed, raised, and educated in homes.
When Judges come of age they are granted a sector to preside over. Andarla and I were given the rare opportunity to rule together over a sector that included your planet Earth. It was a great opportunity; my sister and I were the best of friends as children. But as I soon learned time wears on any relationship.
We were worshipped by the mortals on the planet. I was seen as a god of love and kinship, my sister a god of strength and beauty. They built statues in our honor based on astral visions of us in the stars, they were surprisingly accurate. While the praise went on for centuries Andarla had not received as much love and worship as I did and many of her followers had even chosen to follow me as well. This did not sit very well with her.
One day, her anger and jealousy had reached its peak. Without moment’s notice, Andarla plunged a sword through my heart, slaying me immediately. From there I fell from clouds on high down to Earth’s body of water. From what early records had stated, the resulting geyser was a fantastic sight. It was thought to be a meteorite that had fallen, no one had any clue that a god had fallen. My sister knew the worst humiliation for any god is to walk among mortals, she wanted to see me squirm and writhe.
I was resurrected as a mortal, waking up in a strange river. I made my way to the nearest civilization. Many of the inhabitants had recognized their fallen idol; however, they didn’t resent me as I expected. Even as a mortal my followers loved me just the same and kept me in high regard. This angered Andarla even more.
 For many generations my followers received my blessing. By drinking the water in which my godly blood had spilled, they received a much healthier and longer life. It was the most I could grant with my significantly reduced abilities. I was a greatly cherished individual, even more so than in my godhood, and I loved every one of my followers. I even settled and had children with a man that I had fallen in love with. My sister’s attempts to humiliate me had fallen flat, something she knew oh too well and planned to put a stop to.
Andarla had decided that she had been made a fool of for long enough. She released strife over the planet, cursing only those who had followed me, to a fate of being hideously mutated to resemble demons and given strange hellish abilities. And she had special plans for my bloodline. Each of my descendants fell gravely ill to a sickness which eventually claimed their lives. As well as a curse that was placed on my womb, causing every child I bare to die.
I was no longer considered an idol. Considered nothing but scourge, mistreated, and abandoned, entire civilizations were afraid to even make eye contact in fear of a curse upon their house. Andarla had won. My children died for game, my statues had fallen, and I faced the ultimate humiliation walking among mortals alone.
But this wasn’t the end for me, I decided. I studied every forbidden magic I could across all spectrums, searching for the key for eternal life. I needed to stay alive long enough to figure out a way to ascend back to godhood or reverse time.
Unfortunately true eternal life is impossible for any mortal. Instead I found a way to clone my youthful body as well as a way to transfer souls to another body. Through this process I was able to technically mock immortality; even if die my soul is set to travel to my new body as long as it’s ready. Needless to say I took advantage of this tactic for many centuries and throughout my time I witnessed the rise and fall of many civilizations. And although I started out as a total outcast a worse fate be felled me as time passed, I was forgotten.
I saw the evolution of those who were now cursed by my blood as they became more and more human-like and their powers became more concealed. Even still this didn’t prevent society from attempting to destroy them; witch hunts, crusades, purging, all throughout history, but the numbers were just too great. However, ironically, even my children had forgotten about me and society had forgotten about them; too occupied with other problems across the world.
Now to this day I still walk the Earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment