Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Growth

With the addition of a new character named Mr. Magic in my The Sentinels series, where magic is a prevalent force/ plot element. He is a character who's pretty well versed in the mystic arts and I realized "oh crap, I haven't mapped this crap out yet!"

So for the last 4 hours I've been mapping out and defining the various colors and schools of magic, what they do and what uses they have.

At first I thought "This is gonna be easy, I play Final Fantasy"

Ugh. Because I wanted to be original and not just copy and paste from another work I used other fantasy worlds as influence on my own. And Cripes! Coming up with an entire hierarchy for magic isn't easy AT ALL. And after all that work the back of my head was pounding and I needed to lie down for second.

While it was uncomfortable I feel a tad bit accomplished that I cared enough about my writing to create an entire system for just a plot element. If this was some time ago maybe I'd like to say a year ago I wouldn't have even bothered and probably woulda taken the magic schools out and just winged it in explaining it all. I myself am surprised at how much I've grown as a writer and how much writing has grown on me.

Writing hasn't always been a top top priority like it has become now. I would just pump stories out and not even care about the whos, whats, whens, wheres, or hows It would just be a "Yup that's that" and I'd just go on to create another. But with what I feel now I want my stories to be worth the read or at least worth the look. And this is how far I'm willing to go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment